Blog Post 8.2

Comments I’ve Made On Other DLT Blogs

Comment 1:

See https://adamshippeydlt.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/blog-post-5-1/ in the final paragraph, where I link to the comment left at Taha’s blog.

Comment 2:

See http://damianplimmer.net/digital-learning-blog-privacy/

Comment 3:

See http://rblearning.wordpress.com/reflections/

Comment 4:

See http://hugosfallout.wordpress.com/dtl-assignment/reflections/

Advertisements

Blog Post 8.1

Reflection: My Impressions of the Digital Learning Course at EIT, NZ (so far)

The use of an online live streaming tool like Adobe Connect has been a welcome addition to the Digital Learning Course (DLT) this semester. It is the first course I’ve been in that has used this technology. While it’s primary use is to enable teaching students in various significantly separated geological locations, it also gives those who are sick or only have the one class on the day to still participate in the lecture from home.

I have been using the Virtualmv wiki for a few years now, while studying web and multimedia papers, and now DLT. At times information can be a little difficult to find, however it is encouraging to know that Michael – our lecturer – trusts us to add to and update his notes. No other lecturer I’ve had has provided this level of participation in course material – apart from adding to Glossaries.

It has been interesting to see the range of online tools that teachers today have at their fingertips, to make an interesting learning environment for their students. I feel my pre-tertiary learning would have been a lot more enjoyable if these tools had been used. In particular, having notes made available for download (eg as a PowerPoint or pdf in Moodle) or online (eg in a wiki) would have been great, so that overhead-projector and blackboard notes didn’t have to be furiously scribbled down (and sometimes missed), and the teacher could actually be listened to and questioned. Also, PowerPoint and video presentations have the potential to be more lively and captivating than overhead-projector notes.

I feel that while the first half of the course has been good to get us acquainted with the digital learning technologies available to use, the time taken to produce deliverables and the final mark weighting they hold needs to be reconsidered. The assessment carried out in the first half of the semester only contributes 25% of the final mark, leaving the second half of the semester to produce the deliverables needed for the other 75% of the final mark. My opinion is that the time taken to produce deliverables and their final mark weighting need to be more proportionate with each other.

The course material for the Digital Learning Course at EIT is available at http://www.virtualmv.com/wiki/index.php?title=Digital_Learning_Technologies/Home